Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Sip The Juice Cuz I Got Enough To Go Around...

     About 5 weeks ago I started having slight right leg pains.  I ignored it and figured it was from standing while DJing for long hours.  Then a week later I decided to go on a 64 mile bike ride.  The ride was great and I would totally do it again.  Unfortunately right before the ride I decided to raise my bike seat up about one inch.  I'm pretty sure this one inch difference gave my lower back enough stress to get seriously angry at me and cause a disc to get herniated.  
     The herniated disc then decided to press up and knife my Sciatic nerve.  Holy shi*t!  So not fun.  My right leg was on fire and moving and even standing became next to impossible.  I was popping Advil to make the pain a bit less, but it wasn't really helping and actually making me sick.  
     So I decided to turn to the internet and get my hippy on.  I found out celery, tart cherry juice, pineapple, habanero peppers and several other veggies and fruits are great natural anti-inflammatories.  I figured why not try it.  It can't be any worse then the hell my leg was in.  Much to my surprise it completely and totally worked!  Almost instantly.   Juice! Juice! Juice!  I swear by it now.  I will never ever call celery a waste of space vegetable ever again.  I heart you celery.
     Here I am going two weeks strong on an almost complete juice diet.  I feel great.  The pain is almost completely gone and very manageable, I have a ton of energy, and I'm told I've cut down on weight a bit.  All wins in my book.  I also haven't taken a pain killer since I started the juice plan.  Viva la juice!

Here are some of my favorite juices:

Mean Green
1 Bulk of Kale
4 celery stalks
1 cucumber
2 granny smith apples
1/2 of a lemon
lump of Ginger

Spring Salad
- 3 florets of broccoli
- 4 carrots
- 2 stalks of celery
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tomato

Please Make It Stop
1/4 medium size pineapple, cored, peeled and chopped
handful of spinach leaves
1/2 ince fresh ginger

Hot Spinach Habanero Juice
1 Bunch of  spinach
1 Medium size scotch sonnet habanero chili
1 Large fresh green apple

It's also fun to juice a bunch of random things together.  Be your own juice chef.  I like to stick parsley and cilantro into everything!  I'm going to be the Jack Lelanne of this DJ juice game!



3 comments:

Andrew Lautner said...

reminds me of this documentary about this aussie who turned onto an only-juice diet. worked for his weight loss and described, like yourself, how great he felt.

fat, sick and nearly dead. it's sort of amazing.

http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com/

dj intel said...

I actually just watched that the other day. It's up on Netflix instant.

Andrew Lautner said...

totally on the netflix. the truck driver's success was more amazing to me than the aussie's.

THANKS FOR PLAYING